Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mommy's Day

"I love you, Happy Mommy's Day", says Gavin as he plants a kiss on my ever growing belly. And just like that, my heart turns to mush.

Is there anything sweeter in this world then little children that put you up on a pedestal every day and love you with all of your imperfections? They don't notice when I'm having a bad hair day and tell me I'm pretty even when I'm make-up-less in my ratty old PJ's. They tell me they love me at just the right times, as if they somehow knew I had a bad day at work. They give me sloppy kisses streaked with chocolate-covered donut icing and notice my new earrings, even when Daddy doesn't. They love me unconditionally, and I will myself to forever remember each of those moments and call them up when I need them the most. So that even when they're grown, and we have an empty nest, and it's just the two of us again, I can remember toddler-Gavin loving me on Mommy's Day. And even when he's a grown man and forgets to buy me a card, I will still be reminded of that unconditional love.

So, to my own mother, I want you to know that although I didn't so much as buy you a card today, may you always remember toddler-Katie's homemade cards, sloppy kisses, and unconditional love. I love you, mom.

2 comments:

Patty said...

I'm still waiting for my Mother's Day gift even if he is really is YOUR Mother's Day gift. But, if Keegan wants us to wait a bit longer, we can do that! Sharing your lives with us is the most precious gift I could ever ask for. I love you.

Anonymous said...

I had to come and check to see if that little boy of yours arrived yet. Looks like you are still waiting.
I just loved this posting because I can so relate to it. I had just mentioned to Ian yesterday that Ellie was always giving me kisses and how I was sad that over the last week she has not. Today is mother's day and after a week of being kissed deprived, she initiated kisses (walks toward me with her lips together saying, "mmmmmmm" until she plants one on my lips and says, "ma!") about four times today. Just for me, none for daddy. That was the best mother's day gift I could get!
Jess