Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Mrs. Z. must be some kind of saint

I had the pleasure of accompanying Mrs. Z.'s class of Kindergartners to their first field trip! Despite a minor glitch involving a miscommunication with the school bus department (they had no record of a field trip request and it took a good hour to find a driver/bus/etc.), the kids had a blast. Logan was most excited about the bus trip, while the parent chaperone's wisely opted to meet the class in front of the Jr. Museum. There were 6 other Gilchrist Kindergarten classes in attendance (and several other classes from other schools around town). So obviously, it was chaotic mess of matching bright-colored shirts and hyperactive kiddos, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Incidentally, while I have three kids of my own and have spent my life working with children, I found it surprisingly difficult to keep track of the three children assigned to me as a volunteer chaperone. Something about the sea of matching shirts and 7 classes of Kindergartners all hyped up on the excitement of the day. In fact, I lost one of my kids at one point. As massive search for "an average-sized white boy with brown hair and a teal Gilchrist shirt" ensued, which described most of the kids in the immediate area. I panicked, but he was quickly found. Reunited and it feels so good.

I really don't know how Mrs. Z. handles all of them for 6.5 hours a day! 2 was enough!


Logan and Max (the missing boy)



Alligators, panthers, and bears. OH MY!


Logan's Ladies

Tyler (middle) -- "the best reader in the class, and I'm second best", and
Kai (right) -- "the one who had the coolest birthday party" -- Daddy thinks so too -- this was the party with the beer at 1pm and the Balloon Maker Babysitter


No, they're not resting quietly. The grown-ups forced them to sit for 2 seconds for a picture.


Logan kept running out of the picture and doing karate chops at the teacher's camera.
That's my kid.


Teacher's pet

No comments: