Saturday, September 6, 2008

the power of praise

So, last week Logan contracted "the plague" from his school, and it has been circulating through our family ever since. Tonight, after a long week of cleaning vomit off of everything from floors to couches to carpets, we are healthy again and Gavin finally seems to have his appetite back. We repeatedly praised him for eating all of his chicken nuggets, fries, and peas this evening -- with extra enthusiasm, high fives, and the whole nine yards. After dinner, he was given ice cream for dessert, which he inhaled and then finished Logan's too.

(I walk out into the dining room after putting Keegan down for the night)

GAVIN: (running up to me excitedly) Mama! Guess what!?!?!??
ME: What?
GAVIN: I ate all my ice cream! (said as if he just ate a plate full of broccoli)
ME: Really?
GAVIN: (proudly) Yep. I'm really good at hungry!