Sunday, November 14, 2010

It's all in how you look at it

It is with a heavy heart that I inform you of my grandmother's recent passing. She was diagnosed with cancer in August 2010, and died at the hospice house on November 2nd, 2010. People have said that in some ways it's a good thing that it happened so quickly, but it seemed like an eternity to those of us watching unable to help. No one should have to suffer in that way.

However, I am once again amazed by the wisdom, knowledge, and perspective of a child.

Jay and Logan were at karate when I got the phone call from my mom. I was in the middle of bathtime with Keegan and Gavin. Overwhelmed by relief and sadness, tears flowed freely down my cheeks.

GAVIN: Mommy! Why are you crying? (He has only seen me cry one other time -- the night I found out that my great-grandmother had died)

ME: Because Nana just called to tell me that Great-Nana went to heaven.

GAVIN: (his face lighting up) That's SO AWESOME!!!! She must be SO excited to see her mom and friends again!!!!!!!!!

GAVIN: (after a moment of thought) So....you're crying because your so happy, right? Like when you get proud of me and cry?

Out of the mouth of babes!

He spent the rest of the evening giving me unprovoked hugs and kisses and saying things like, "We can do whatever you want, Mom. We can either play Lego city or build a pyramid with Legos. Whatever YOU want to do because I'm trying to cheer you up".

What a blessing this special boy is to our family!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Oh I'm so sorry about your grandma's passing. But I know from watching my mom suffer with lung cancer for 10 months, it's a horrid, horrid disease. She's out of pain now. Your kids are so fantastic. What insight!
Hugs and love
Karen in AZ!