Friday, April 13, 2012

Run, Mama! Run!

Boston Mini-Marathon
Boston, GA
October 28, 2011


I was so glad to have the opportunity to run in one of my favorite area half-marathons again this year. Boston is a quiet, quaint little town about 45 minutes north of Tallahassee. I was excited about the race and felt well-prepared after several months of training. Unlike the freezing morning tempertaures we had last year, the weather was expected to be in the mid-50's and rising. Everything seemed to be lining up nicely for my race. Due to the fact that the boys had a football game that morning, my cheering squad this year consisted of Nana, Papa, and Keegan.

Ready to run!
This out-and-back race consists of mild hills and cow pastures on either side. They are quite entertaining, but rather stinky when the wind blows the wrong way.
My first 5 miles kicked butt and I was feeling great. The weather was perfect and I was ahead of pace. Just before mile 6, I tripped over some uneven payment in the road and twisted my ankle. Several people kindly stopped to help, but I knew I needed to drop out. Unfortunately, with an out-and-back half-marathon, at mile 6 I was just about as far away from medical assistance as I could be. While I waited for a bike medic to send for a golf cart, I heard myself saying to my boys, "Allison's never quit!" and I knew I had to finish even if it took me all day. I started to run again, since "Allison's never quit" and my ankle gradually started to feel better...or maybe it was the Advil. Either way, I finshed the race and beat my time from last year by over 3 minutes (2010 -- 2:12:16, 2011 -- 2:08:51). It wasn't the sub-2 hour half that I was shooting for, but I'll take it considering the circumstances.

While Mommy ran, Keegan hung out with Nana and Papa.






He waited....
...and waited...
...and waited some more.
FINALLY, I made it! And Keegan got to cross the finish line too!
On the way back to the car, we stopped to watch a train pass by.

We posed for photos with a John Deere tractor.

And saw an ambulance too! I was fortunate to not have to use their services, but did have to wrap my ankle and use crutches for a few days.
Hopefully, my 2012 race will meet my goal of a sub 2!

No comments: