Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Heartbeat Check

For about a year now, I have been reading a blog by an amazing mother and writer (www.handsfreemama.com) who made a conscious decision to go "hands-free". She put down her phone, stepped away from the computer, stopped over-committing herself to others, and opened her eyes to really see her children. What followed was an inspiring blog about getting to know her children and appreciating them for who they are. Her house might always be messy, her email inbox might be full, but she is making memories and savoring every moment of it. As a side note, I contacted her on Facebook while we were getting ready to move and things were hectic. It took a day or two, but she took the time to respond, at length, with supportive words of how "quality time" means so much more than "quantity time".

In one post, she discussed her nightly "Heartbeat Check" ritual (you can read it here). She put her head down on her daughter's chest and just listened to her heartbeat for a few moments. Something very special about the physical contact and the quiet of the moment led to her daughter to open up about so many things that were on her little mind. And it was there that they connected, Mother with Daughter, and a new nighttime ritual was born. 

In my house, we've recently started this and I've been amazed at how often all three of them come back for more...nighttime, daytime, anytime. 

Usually it goes like this:

SON #1: Listen to my heartbeat, Mommy. What's it saying?
ME: It's saying that you __________ (are very proud of your math test grade, had a fun day playing with your friends, etc.)
SON #2: Now do me!
SON #3: No! It's my turn! Do me!

But last night, after tucking Keegan in bed and doing his heartbeat check HE wanted to tell ME what his heart was saying....

"My heart is beating happy because I love you, Mama"

Minutes later, as I finished tucking Gavin in bed, he wanted to do the same thing (a strange coincidence since that's not usually how the little ritual goes and they are all sticklers for their nighttime routines).

"My heart is beating proud because I know you're proud of me for reading the biggest book I've ever read and I'm proud of me too"

Moving on to Logical almost 9-year-old Logan's room, I decided to give him the same opportunity to reverse the rules and tell ME what his heart is saying.

"I don't know, Mom. YOU always tell ME that. That's how that goes. Now can I have a hug? Because that's what's next."

Melting my heart in different ways, those three never cease to amaze me and never stop teaching me how to love this little life of ours.


No comments: