Thursday, June 5, 2008

How he got his nickname

When I was pregnant with him, I wanted to name him Grayson. Jay accused me of making up names to stick my sons with for life (nevermind the fact that it was #211 on the SSA list of names last year).

When he was born, we compromised and named him Gavin Roy Allison (or GRAy). Logan was unable to say Gavin at the time, so Gray stuck with him as a nickname.

When he started school, everyone called him Gavin. I know my little baby is growing up, but it hurts to hear him say, "I'm not Gray, I'm GAVIN!" when to me he's still my "Baby Gray".

A few weeks ago, he fell and hit his tooth. It recently turned Gray, so he continues to live up to his name whether he likes it or not. You can see it in the photo if you look carefully -- it's his top right front tooth. So until those permanent teeth come in, he continues to be my Baby Gray.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I didn't know you like Grayson too!
I always wondered why you called him Gray until Alex told me it was his initials. Great minds think alike :)

Patty said...

Last night, just before we went to sleep, Gray said, "I'm Gavin." I said, "Oh, OK. So your not Gray?" He said, "I'm Gray, too." So I guess he wants us to be sure that we know he IS Gavin, but that he is still Gray to us.