Saturday, July 2, 2011

Safety First


I've really been enjoying teaching the kids how to roller skate. I have fond memories of a much simpler life in the 80's where I proudly wore knee high socks, Rainbow Brite iron-on t-shirts, and red pom-poms adorning my white roller skates. The boys have picked it up quickly and recently took 4th (Gavin) and 5th (Logan) place in the boys 8 and under race (though Logan will tell you the whole thing was unfair because he fell right at the beginning and should have come in first!). Early on, I wanted to take the boys without Keegan so I could give them my undivided attention and lessen their falls. Also, summer open skate is inconveniently scheduled during Keegan's nap. But now that they're able to skate independently without falling and breaking a bone, I thought it might be nice to take Keegan with me one of these days and start to show him the ropes.

ME: Keegan, do you want to go skating with us next time?
KEEGAN: No.
ME: Why not?
KEEGAN: It's too dangerous.

So, his mind is made up.


No comments: